Powers and Duties of Board of Adjustments
Appeals Based on Error: The Board shall have the power to hear and decide appeals where it is alleged there is error of law in any order, requirement, decision or determination made by an administrative official of the city of the enforcement of this ordinance.
Special Exceptions: Upon issuance of specific written findings of fact, the Board shall have the power to hear and decide special exceptions to the terms of this ordinance upon which the Board is required to pass as follows:
• Permit the erection and use a building or the use of premises for railroads if such uses are in general conformity with the Master Plan and present no conflict or nuisance to adjacent properties.
• Permit a public utility or public service or structure in any district, or a public utility or public service building of a ground area and of a height at variance with those provided for in the district in which such public service building is permitted to be located, when found reasonably necessary for the public health, convenience, safety, or general welfare.
• Grant a permit for the extension of a use, height, or area regulation into an adjoining district where the boundary line of the district divides a lot in a single ownership on the effective date of this ordinance.
• Permit the reconstruction of a non-conforming building which has been damaged by explosion, fire, act of God, or the public enemy, to the extent of more than fifty percent (50%) of its fair market value, where the Board finds some compelling necessity requiring a continuance of the nonconforming use and primary purpose of continuing the nonconforming use is not to continue a monopoly.
• Waive or reduce the parking and loading requirements of any of the districts, whenever the character or use of the building is such as to make unnecessary the full provision of parking or loading facilities, or where such regulations would impose an unreasonable hardship upon the use of the lot, as contrasted with merely granting an advantage or a convenience.
• Determine whether an industry should be permitted within the M-1 -- Light Industrial District and M-2 -- Heavy Industrial District because the methods by which it would be operated and because of its effect upon uses within surrounding zoning districts.
• Rule on all applications on siting of manufactured homes in districts not so zoned. Approval shall only be allowed in cases of extreme hardship under guidelines established by the Board.
The Board shall have the power to authorize upon appeal in specific cases such variances from the terms of this ordinance as will not be contrary to the public interest where, owing to special conditions, a literal enforcement of the provisions of this ordinance will result in unnecessary hardship and so that the spirit of this ordinance shall be observed and substantial justice done.
Currently City Council is serving as the Board of Adjustments.
City of Leonard | 111 W Collin St | Leonard, TX 75452
Emergency contact (903) 819-5849
Office Hours: 8:00 AM-4:30 PM
Closed: 12:00 PM-1:00 PM
Closed Saturday and Sunday
Copyright © City of Leonard, Texas 2016. All rights reserved.
powered by ezTaskTitanium TM